Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is often seen to be a mythical practice with online marketing companies not always being transparent about how they intend to improve the rankings of a client’s website. The truth is that search engine optimization is not an overly complex field, it simply requires constant effort and the right starting point. This article attempts to demystify some of the things that SEO agencies do in order to improve the ranking of their clients’ websites by giving the reader a list of things that you can do yourself in order to improve your websites visibility on the Internet.
There are a number of things that you can do yourself without the assistance of an SEO professional to improve your websites search rankings and improve its visibility on the Internet. The points mentioned below will help to promote your website by making search engines more aware of your website and it does not cost you anything to implement!
- Submit your site to major search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing as well as the Open Directory Project. This ensures that the major search engines are aware that your website exists and where it can be found.
- Sign up for the Google Webmaster tools and submit a sitemap for your website. A sitemap is a document that lists all the webpages on your website and the URLs of where they can be found. This ensures that Google knows how to find every page on your website that you want found.
- Create a local business listing in Google Places so when someone searches for your product or service in your area, your business will be listed.
- Ensure that the content on your website is well written and provides value to visitors by being informative and accurate. Try not to replicate information that is already available on the Internet. Instead, provide a unique view or spin on something.
- Keep you content up to date. Search engines notice when content becomes out of date and your rankings can slowly decrease.
- Get other reputable sites to link to your site and be careful of link services provided by web consultants or agencies. The promise of hundreds of links and guaranteed results will damage your rankings in the long run as their practices are frowned upon by search engines.
- Visit Google webmaster central and read the Search Engine Optmization Starter Guide that is linked there. This is a document provided by Google to give you an overview of search engine optimization and how it affects your website.
By following the tips above, you should start to see an improvement in your rankings in a few short weeks. Remember that SEO is an ongoing process and you will always need to maintain your website content so that it remains a valuable resource on the Internet.
Article by Donovan Abrey of IT Solutions